AmericanWest Bank Building
Preserving the History of Downtown Spokane: Engineering along the fine line of modern office building and historical aesthetics
This new five-story, brick masonry office building featuring a rounded tower entrance was built on the eastern edge of downtown Spokane. DCI Engineers provided civil and structural engineering services for the 59,000-sf building, which was designed to complement the existing historical aesthetics in the neighborhood.
- Structural highlight is the simplicity of the building’s construction.
- Construction typed provides several benefits, including an open floor space with flexibility for layout, premium performance for sound attenuation and vibration, simplicity of detailing at the exterior façade, and structural depth, which minimizes floor-to-floor heights.
- Lateral support provided by cast-in-place concrete shear walls at the stair and elevator cores.
- An intricate brick veneer façade, steel canopies, and two-story curtain walls were used to blend the old and the new of historic downtown Spokane.
- Civil engineering design included temporary erosion and sediment control, site grading, on-site storm water drainage and underground utility services to the building.
- The project meets the strict standards of the City of Spokane.
Washington Aggregates and Concrete Association 2005 Excellence in Concrete Construction Finalist in the Concrete Structure Cast-in-Place Category