An Architectural Distinct Gateway: A building dedicated to the historic arcades and its growing urban identity
Located in the historic Alphabet District in Portland, Oregon, bSIDE6 is a seven-story office and retail building designed to acknowledge the neighborhood’s previous life as an industrial sector. Designed as an asymmetrical building, bSIDE6 features nuances of Portland’s earlier years by utilizing exposed post-tensioned concrete to create a modern yet familiar aesthetic. This project’s façade is comprised of large windows which occupy specifically designed slots in the cantilevered concrete slabs for support. The building has a total floor area of 27,000-sf on a footprint of only 3,800-sf.
- Protruding glass bays extend eight feet over the sidewalk on the north side creating an asymmetrical pattern.
- The skin stretches along the frame creating intimate spaces and provide uninterrupted views of the city.
- State-of-the-art post-tensioned structural framework.
- Floor to ceiling windows allowing for maximum natural light.
- bSIDE6 is one of only two buildings built with no parking.
- AIA NW&P Built Citation
- AIA Oregon Built Honor
- OCAPA Excellence in Concrete Award Commercial Category