“This project is not about building units – this project is about building a community.”
“Our shared vision for COMM22 is a model for smart, transit-oriented repurposing of underutilized land that connects people to jobs and services.”
Multi-Generational Living: COMM22 encourages community self-sufficiency
This transit-oriented affordable housing development reinterprets the industrial look of San Diego’s Barrio Logan district. Three buildings make up COMM22’s pedestrian-friendly, mixed-use urban community with inviting plazas, courtyards, and local amenities. COMM22 offers ~200 affordable multi-family and senior housing units. These four-story buildings include community rooms, a library, work/live lofts, daycare, commercial space, and future development areas.
DCI was the Engineer of Record for the buildings’ primary framing systems. The building footprints are “home plate”-shaped. To accommodate the unique geometry, the team designed mild reinforced slabs with flexural drop caps which were better suited for the footprint layout. In several isolated locations, post tensioned concrete slabs were used in drop beams to allow for deflection control.
- Integrating long span elements and an efficient column layout provided more parking space to tenants.
- The transit-oriented development is located next to a San Diego Trolley station.
- Includes market-rate live/work lofts.
- Local amenities include daycare, post office, banking, and neighborhood health clinic.
- COMM22’s residential units will remain as affordable housing for 55 years.
- Building 3 acquired LEED Platinum.
- 2015 Multifamily Pillars Award: Best Affordable Apartment Community (over 100 units), National Association of Home Builders
- 2015 Gold Nugget Merit Award – Best Affordable Housing Community – 30 to 60 du/acre
- 15 SDG&E Energy Efficiency Sustainability Award – San Diego Housing Federation Ruby Award
- 2015 Multifamily Executive (MFE) Award, Merit Winner