Multi-level Loading Docks: Urban distribution centers for the modern day
In land-constrained areas with limited industrial/commercial-type vacancies, multi-story warehouses become a logistical solution for distribution center developers. The bottom line of the urban warehouse: store high-demand products, fulfill inventory efficiently, and deliver faster to customers. The company’s reputation for reliable, expedient services becomes their competitive edge and brand.
The strategically located Georgetown Crossroads is a commercial tenant’s advantage for shipping to customers in western Washington. The three-level warehouse includes two levels of 130 feet semi-truck loading courts. Level 1 can receive delivery trucks from both sides of the building; Level 2 includes two ramps designed for additional full-size trailer access for fulfillment activity. Georgetown Crossroads, a multi-level industrial facility, is the first of its kind in the United States, according to the developer.
As Engineer of Record, DCI designed the warehouse’s floor framing, roof framing, column layout, lateral force resisting system, structural transition to the bridge ramps, plus concrete and steel details. DCI accomplished the owner’s program design criteria by achieving the 50-foot x 45-foot column spacing and tall floor-to-floor heights (32’ at Level 1). The engineering team also designed the free-standing, concrete framed parking garage with PT concrete slabs, columns, and special reinforced shear walls. DCI designed a sub-grade parking level per the client’s design plan.
- The three-story distribution center is nearly the height of a nine-story building and has the floor loading, large bay spacing, and tall floor-to-floor height demanded of modern day warehouses.
- Truck courts serve both the first and second levels of the building.
- Level 1 is configured for double-load truck access (both sides of the building) for efficient docking and easier vehicle entry/exit.
- The warehouse floor framing was designed to accept future loading dock leveler equipment.
- Level 3 is suitable for light manufacturing and features a 16-foot clearance height.
- The distribution center includes a separate four-level parking garage with 500 stalls.