Gonzaga University Kennedy Apartments
Spokane Student Housing: Engineering a mixed-use facility for Gonzaga University’s thriving campus
DCI Engineers provided the structural design services for this light-filled contemporary living environment filled with unique features. Design goals included providing students with the private pleasures of apartment living, as well as the positive social opportunities of dorm life. Unique double-height common lounges bring people together while other "quiet" lounges provide intimate spaces for study and reflection. Students are just steps from the ground-level café and satellite bookstore and the fifth-floor sun deck
- Designed and constructed in two phases.
- Two, five-story buildings contain 140 apartment-style units that will house a total of 420 students.
- Four levels of housing are situated above the first floor parking level and 10,000-sf of retail space.
- The first floor of the structure is constructed with concrete columns and walls, which support a 10” thick post-tensioned concrete transfer slab at the second floor.
- Levels two through five are wood-framed, utilizing solid-web wood joists at the floors and prefabricated trusses at the roof.
- Lateral resistance is provided by wood shearwalls at the upper levels and by concrete shearwalls at the first level.