Kroc Community Center
Idaho’s Salvation Army Ray and Joan Kroc Center: Engineering a state-of-the-art recreational and arts facility
The Kroc Center in Coeur d’Alene is a nearly $80 million investment in the community, spreading across 12 acres. DCI Engineers provided structural design services for this community center, which houses four major components: a center of worship and performance venue, an aquatics center, fitness and recreation center, and special event facilities.
- Consists of multiple buildings of different roof heights linked together.
- Steel structure with some exposed wood elements, masonry bearing walls, or steel stud walls with stone veneer.
- Fitness facilities include family locker rooms, a gymnasium, fitness area, and a competition swimming pool.
- A leisure pool with water slides, a climbing wall, an elevated running track, and a second-story aerobics area comprise the recreational areas.
- All areas are linked by a common lobby and corridor, which includes a childcare center, meeting rooms, kitchen, theater, chapel, and administrative offices.
Recreation Management Magazine’s 2011 Recreation Management Innovative Architecture and Design Award