“A beautiful use of concrete. It creates an indoor/outdoor expression in a tight and dense housing habitat, which I find very relevant.”
Building An Environment For Socioeconomic Fusion In High-density San Diego
The latest mixed-use live/work offering in the Hillcrest neighborhood - Mr. Robinson - includes two levels of commercial space, four levels of residential space, and two levels of parking. The architectural concept takes a cube shape and carves out community and tenant spaces abundant with natural light and air flow. An integrated layout of commercial office space and 36 market rate and affordable residential units encourage socioeconomic coexistence.
DCI Engineers provided complete design of the primary building structure as well as the light gauge penthouse. The staff checked building drifts and displacements and designed the lateral force resisting system using a modal response spectrum analysis. Also, they generated a supplemental calculation document for city permitting.
- Building constructed within 14 months.
- Layout combines office suites, market rate units, and affordable housing units.
- Cantilevered patio decks push out floor space and create more outdoorsy atmosphere for tenants.
- Penetrations to the building’s façade lets in copious amounts of natural light and air flow into interior areas.
- Includes on-grade and below-grade parking.
- Insulated concrete wall system meets energy code mandate.
- Building location near public transportation.
- 2016 National American Architecture Award, The Chicago Athenaeum
- 2016 Builder’s Choice & Custom Home Design Awards, Project of the Year