The Rock Academy and Church
Redeveloping Liberty Station in San Diego: Innovative design solutions for a stunning church
DCI Engineers provided structural design services for this 244,000-sf renovation that required innovative design solutions to meet program needs and the desired interior environment within the existing building envelope. In addition to the new sanctuary space, the project also consisted of the renovation and expansion of an existing Navy training building into a new three-story, 2,000-student school.
- Column free floor area and seating with open sight lines were provided by the use of 180’ span, 43’ tall steel moment resisting frames and cantilevered balconies.
- Interior columns were eliminated from the main level area by using steel trusses cantilevering up to 42’ from their supports.
- The lobby features a skylight with exposed crucifix-shaped framing and large, glass walls at each end.
- The variations in seismic characteristics of the two buildings and irregular layout of bridges and window walls required seismic jointing that crossed the lobby at different levels and complicated support of the window walls and associated shade structures.
- Performed a vibration analysis to ensure that the facility could accommodate rock concerts.