Swedish Issaquah Hospital
"The shared circulation and generous public spaces encourage a sense of community between doctors, staff, and patients."
Engineering an Award-Winning Hospital: Solutions for a progressive healthcare facility
DCI Engineers provided structural design services for this award-winning, 175-bed hospital. DCI’s work included a new five-story medical office building, a five-story ambulatory care center, and a central utility plant to service the facility, for a total of 575,000-sf. Many special structural solutions were incorporated into the design of this facility in order to ensure that it would perform to the highest standards of healthcare services.
- The 178,000-sf medical office building utilizes isolated internal high-strength concrete shear walls to provide unimpeded floor access
- Unique details to place shear wall rebar and concrete after the steel frame helped fast-track construction.
- The 323,000-sf ambulatory care center is comprised of two wings connected by a bridge at every floor to provide efficient travel distance throughout the hospital.
- Shear walls bookend each wing of the ambulatory center and surround central elevators to provide maximum space planning flexibility.
- Facility also includes a linear accelerator area, a porte-cochere for the main entry, a central courtyard, and a dramatic five-story tall atrium entry enclosed with glass.