UC Irvine Mesa Court Towers
“[Mesa Court] is a state-of-the-art student housing project that will set new standards for student life on campus.”
“University residence design today has a major emphasis on social space. ‘Seen and be seen’ space, which is abundant throughout Mesa Court, helps create community among college students. Adjacencies are critical, such as the corridors between rooms in Mesa Court’s residential towers that grew to become community spaces with seating areas, combined with circulation.”
Campus Durability: Mesa Court performs to UCI’s building lifespan criteria
The LEED Platinum-certified Mesa Court Towers serve as a dynamic student life hub comprising of three concrete structures which are each five stories over a podium level. The 250,000-sf, 918-bed complex has a flexible floor layout that accommodates changing living situations and multiple furnishing arrangements to modify the interior space as needed. Amenities include study rooms, computer labs, a two-story great room, fitness center, a main dining area, recreation center, group kitchens, and laundry facilities.
DCI provided structural design services for this state-of-the-art campus complex. The cast-in-place concrete structural design provides maximum durability for a high-use facility, simplified building maintenance, quality acoustic rating, taller ceiling heights, and efficient column layout in community spaces. The design and construction quality of Mesa Court allows the facility to perform according to UC Irvine’s 70-year building lifespan criteria.
- Roofs contain photovoltaic panel systems.
- Green roof on Level 2; all three structures are connected at this level.
- Transfer beams separate the column spacing module of the residential units above the dining hall, which reduced the number of columns needed in the dining area.
- Post-tensioned slabs allowed for a thinner floor system, which made for taller ceiling heights.
- Residential units have flexible floor layouts since perimeter and partition walls are not bearing walls.
- LEED Platinum Certified
- 2017 AIA/LA Cote Awards, Honor Award
- 2017 Design Build Institute of America (DBIA) National Awards, Merit Award (for Educational Facilities) & Project of the Year
- 2017 DBIA Western Pacific Region, Regional Award & Design Excellence Award
- 2017 AIA Seattle Honor Awards, Merit Award
- Engineering News-Record (ENR) California 2017 Best Projects