Oregon State University’s Avery, Azalea, and Oxford Houses
Revised Itinerary: Campus buildings modified for present-day services
Oregon State University readapted three former residential buildings into administrative offices and a child care facility: the two-story Azalea House, two-story Avery Lodge, and three-story Oxford House. Originally built in 1952, the Azalea House was converted into child care and office spaces. The Avery Lodge (originally built in 1965) and the Oxford House (originally built in 1954) were converted into the new offices for University Housing & Dining Services.
DCI Engineers was the structural engineer of record for all three renovation projects, which involved structural improvement designs and integrating ADA features, such as entrance ramps and elevator systems.
· In the Azalea House, glulam beams and posts were added along the bearing line; floor framing capacity was verified for office loading; and new footings and shaft walls were installed for the new elevator shaft.
· In the Avery Lodge, the kitchen and lounge areas were updated, as well as new framing for the elevator shaft.
· For the Oxford House, the engineers identified bearing wall locations, and designed new footings and shaft walls for the elevator system.