Gonzaga University McCarthey Athletic Center
A New Kennel for the Bulldogs: Engineering a new basketball arena for Gonzaga University
DCI Engineers provided structural design for this 112,000-sf NCAA Division I basketball arena. Constructed directly adjacent to the existing Martin Centre athletic complex, the new building complements and expands the existing athletic facilities. The facility includes a 6,000-seat multipurpose basketball arena and associated spaces, which include a concourse level with concessions and other services, locker and training rooms, press facilities, and food service and preparation spaces. The new arena, or the “Kennel,” is home to the Gonzaga Bulldogs basketball program.
- Project was completed using the design-build process.
- The long-span steel roof structure of approximately 38,000-sf is framed with custom steel trusses spanning over 200’.
- Steel, concrete, and masonry were used for gravity and lateral systems.
- Concourse seating is a blend of precast and cast-in-place concrete and steel framing.
- Steep seating risers were designed making every seat feel closer to the basketball floor, replicating the standing-room only feeling of the former “Kennel.”