Coronado Naval Base Bachelor’s Enlisted Quarters (P742)
Housing for the Navy: Engineering living quarters for enlisted personnel
DCI Engineers provided structural design services for this 68,000-sf dormitory for the Design/Build of a new Bachelor’s Enlisted Quarters (BEQ) at Naval Base Coronado called the John W. Finn Hall Campus Housing. The mission of the Coronado BEQ is to provide adequate space and living amenities for all Navy bachelor enlisted personnel that promotes professional development, supports unit cohesion, and improves the quality of life for its residents.
- Consists of two L-shaped, seven-story buildings located near existing retail, commercial, and recreational activities.
- The two residential towers provide 198,917-sf of 264 1+1 E modules and are designed to be accessed via an interior corridor with dual loading.
- The facility features 282 rooms and includes a rooftop terrace on the seventh floor and a steel-framed community center on the ground floor that ties the two separate wings of the building together.
- The project also includes a separate one-story Central Plant Building, constructed of CMU bearing walls and a steel-framed roof.
- The building is seven stories on-grade and is constructed of post-tensioned concrete slabs with a concrete shear wall lateral system and an auger cast-drilled pile foundation system.
Design-Build Institute of America 2012 Commercial National Design-Build Award Winner