“This was truly a breakout project as it really allowed the company to showcase not only my personal architectural interests, but also demonstrate the high level of detailed construction we always administer.”
– Brett Fogelstrom owner of Fogelstrom Design Build Company
State of the Art Wine Making: Designing a building as smooth as the wine
The Ponzi winemaking family outgrew their makeshift tasting rooms and administrative office, so they built a contemporary Ponzi Wine Tasting & Corporate Office Building to showcase the bounty of one of their vineyards. The low-profile building contains 15 offices and an expansive wine tasting area with high ceilings, vast windows, and a clearstory. DCI Engineers kept the roof structure as thin as possible to maintain the architect’s vision of a clean look. The project team also accomplished a column-free structural system to emphasize the expanse of the tasting area and the sense of being immersed in the vineyard.
- Established a column-free floor layout for visitors to have unobstructed views of the Willamette Valley.
- Brought in as much natural light from the floor-to-ceiling windows and a clearstory architectural element.
- The westside lateral system is anchored to the massive concrete fireplace, so there is no need for distracting-looking bracing between the roof and walls.
- Used plywood web I-joists with a flush cantilever system to minimize the soffit band at the roof line.
Awards / News
- 2015 SEAO Excellence in Structural Engineering for “New Building Under $10M”